Tuesday, May 22, 2012

And so it begins!!!

So Crossroads northern walk 2012 has officially begun!! Just a quick update of the last few days and then onto the actual walking.
So after arriving in Seattle last Wednesday, my team and I just hung out Wednesday night. We also had to pick people up after Allison and I arrived so it was better to not really have anything planned. By Wednesday night almost all of us were there. Only 2 of our guys couldn't make it Wednesday but one can Friday and one came Sunday. Here is my team!! They are all truly amazing people and I cannot wait to get to know them more!
So our walk director is Dave. He trained us and he is with us for the first week but he leaves this weekend.
Our walk leader ( fearless leader as he has been dubbed) is John. He is from LA and was actually on the same flight as Allison and I were for Seattle. Next is Grace and Zechariah from st. Louis Peter from Maryland. Josh from south Carolina. Amanda from Wisconsin, and Stephanie from Sacramento, and last but not least Mario from Ireland!! Everybody is great and training was really fun.

This past weekend we began talking to parishes about our mission and also asking for their financial support because we rely on there donations in order to survive this summer. Everyone was so generous and loving. They really wanted to help us which was wonderful because I feel sometimes people might be over asked to donate money. I gave the speech at my parish. It had me thinking about why I am doing this walk. Why give up my whole summer to walk across America? Well I realized a lot of it was because of my mom. Mom was adopted by my grandparents but if her birth mom had not chosen life when she found out She was pregnant then I would not be there. Then it got me thinking about how easy it would have been to abort my mother because of her birth mother' s situation and that one decision could change the future for so many. One decision. One. How many people should I have met by now? How many classmates did not get to go to school with me or graduate this year with me? What if I had been one of them? That is why I walk. I walk so they may have a chance to live the life I have had he opportunity to live.
So I bought about this all weekend. And then it was finally Monday!!!! Our first day of walking. We started as a group together at the space needle in downtown Seattle. And then the day shift took over. I am part of the night shift so I did not start walking until around 9 pm last night and finished around 6:30 this morning. It was very challenging. We take turns doing 5 miles each and we switch off with the other people on our shift but it is still so hard. My knee is in some pain right ow but I am proud to say I walked all 15 of my miles last night. It is also the first time I pulled an all nighter. Which needlessly to say made me feel quit sick earlier today. But hopefully my body will adjust to it soon. In fact in a few nineties I am going to sleep so I can be rested for tonight. Well that is pretty much it. I have little Internet access but I will do my best to keep as updated as possible. Please feel free to message me your questions and I will answer them as soon as possible. Keep up those prayers!! They are what get us through everyday and night shift! Also if you have eater requests please send them to me so I can pray for you too!! That's all for now!! Goodnight!!
Jezu Ufam Tobie
Kirstin


4 comments:

  1. Kirstin that is so wonderful! Praying for you girl- 15 miles, that is AWESOME. yay Life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirstin, how do we donate to you? Can we send you anything at say your next stop? Hugs Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Facebook you the info. Sorry it has taken me so long to ge back. I have very limitted Internet access so most of the time is spent updating Facebook really fast. Love you! Thanks for all the prayers!

      Delete